Poor House Cottage at Abercelyn, Bala, Snowdonia, North Wales
Traditional, self-catering cottage for 6, 1 double, 2 twin bedrooms, three bathrooms
Self-catering within an 18th C, former Poor House (Abercelyn Cottage) which has been carefully converted to retain the character of the building while providing modern comforts, including central heating. The cottage is situated within the grounds of Abercelyn Country House and is ideal for a family or group of up to six adults.
The Poor House was built in 1774 and was converted into a self-catering cottage in 1993. The cottage provide modern comforts, including full central heating, but still retains its original features and traditional method of construction with stone walls and wooden beams. Because of the traditional style of construction and beams the headroom is restricted in places.
The cottage is fully equipped for six, with three bathrooms including a luxury shower, dishwasher, washing machine and patio with furniture and a barbecue. There is adequate spacing for parking several cars and boat trailers. The patio area is enclosed with gates thus allowing children or pets an restricted area.
Guests are welcome to use the award-winning gardens and other facilities available at Abercelyn Country House including: bike store & wash, walking guides & maps, etc. There is a wide range of wildlife locally, including squirrels, badgers, foxes and otters. Starlings often nest nearby and wide variety of birds have been seen from the garden including Red Kites and Buzzards.
Summary: sleeps 6 + cot (1 double bedroom, 2 twin bedrooms, 3 bathrooms); pets permitted
The cottage has an unusual split-level layout with the entrances to both the upper and lower floors being at ground level. It is fully equipped for a group of six with three bathrooms, a comfortable seating area with solid pine floor and kitchen with fitted traditional units. The total floor area is around 85 sq m.
Improvement late 2006/2007 include: dishwasher, cooker, fridge/freezer and bathroom decor. In 2009 the shower room has been refurbished with luxury tower shower with body jets, back-to-the wall WC, basin with vanity cupboard, new built-in washing machine.
Upper floor -
open plan living area with pine flooring, stone walls and beams, comprising:
- Lounge with:
- Two comfortable sofas, a comfortable armchair, nest of tables,
- Traditional-style stove,
- Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio,
- HiFi unit with CD/cassette/radio,
- Dining area: Danish Pine Table (extendable) with six chairs
- Fitted kitchen:
- With traditional fitted units,
- Dishwasher with tablets provided
- Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates,
- Fully equipped for six persons
- Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (bath, WC, basin, heated towel rail)
- Twin bedroom with en-suite shower room (shower, WC, basin, heated towel rail)
- Twin bedroom with adjacent private shower room (tower shower, WC, basin & Washing machine with powder provided)
Full central heating, with adequate supply of hot water, and traditional-style stove
Choice of quilts
Patio with furniture and barbecue (accessed from the upper floor)
Courtyard with flowerbeds (accessed from the lower floor)
Drying room in Abercelyn Country House
Adequate car parking including space for boat trailers
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
- Prices include electricity, heating, towels, linen with beds made-up prior to arrival
- Complimentary tea, coffee, milk, sugar, salt & pepper, cleaning & washing products, kitchen roll, etc.
- Stay for two weeks: £25 reduction, linen and towels changed after the first week
- Pets permitted (charge £10 per pet)
- Saturday change-over
- Cot and high-chair available by prior arrangement
- Ample free parking is available for trailers, dinghies, etc.
- Wireless connection to the internet (Main house)
- Locked storage available for bicycles
- Advice for outdoor activities