Access Statement for Abercelyn Tithe Barn 1
Section 1 Travel to Site
- In Llanycil opposite the Church on the A494 (Bala – Dolgellau) road (½-mile from Bala towards Dolgellau)
- Grid Reference: SH 914349 (OS Maps: OL18, 23 or Landranger 125)
- Latitude: North 52 deg. 54.058 minutes; Longitude: West 3 deg. 36.930 minutes
Telephone: 01678 521 109 (international +44 1678 521 109)
Car parking within the grounds of Abercelyn Country House: use the first entrance coming from Bala on the A494 Bala – Dolgellau road (opposite “Llanycil drive safely” sign) after turning into the grounds of Abercelyn, bear left to the Tithe Barn
Drop off points: see car parks above (not suitable for large buses – there is a lay-by on the A494 (Bala – Dolgellau) road in Llanycil
Taxis: see car parks above
Bus stops: The Arriva 94 bus service (Wrexham-Bala-Llanycil-Dolgellau-Barmouth) stops in Llanycil (Telephone: Traveline 0870-608 2608, Arriva Cymru: 01495-592 111)
Routes to Bala/Llanycil:
- By car from north: M56 Chester A483 Wrexham A5 Llangollen A494 Bala (A494 or A5104 are alternatives to A483)
- By car from east: M54 Telford A5 Shrewsbury A5 Llangollen A494 Bala (B4396 Knockin - Pen-y-bont - Llangynog B4391 is an alternative to A5/A494)
- By train: to Wrexham then bus to Llanycil (Arriva 94)
- By coach: National Express to Llangollen (seasonal) then bus to Llanycil (Arriva 94) (National Express telephone: 08705 808080, Disabled Persons Travel Helpline: 0121 4238479)
Section 2 Building Environs
Tithe Barn entrance:
- Directly from an area which is car accessible;
- The car park surface is gravel, paths are either slate or gravel
- The path & steps are slate and can be slippery when wet
- Lighting is provided to the area around the entrances.
- Garden: the garden is on a slope with steps in places, paths are slate or gravel.
- Garden safety: The garden has a mountain stream running through it and parents must decide if their children require supervision when in the garden near the stream
Section 3 Building
- The entrance has one step (height 7cm) with a stormguard (6 cm high); ramps are not available.
- The entrance has double doors (min width 94cm).
- Recessed door mat.
Floors and layout:
- The entrance leads directly to the open plan hall/dining area/kitchen/living room and stairs (min width 58cm; see below).
- Staircase: 10 steps (height 20 cm) with two right angle turns, tread width 60cm, depth 26cm and 6-44cm on the turns (min width 58cm). A child safety gate is provided at the lower level
- First floor: galleried landing (min width 96cm) leading to bedrooms
- Bedrooms: one double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (including WC, bath with shower-mixer tap) and one single bedroom with en-suite shower-room (including WC, walk-in shower). The walk-in shower is 64 x 106cm with a door width of 68cm. The height within the shower is 1.5-2m and 1.78 at a beam. The access to the far side of the double bed is restricted in width (28cm) and height (1.23-2.08m). The bathroom height is 1.3 to 1.82m and 1.79m under a beam
- The barn is of traditional construction and height restrictions apply to the upper floor (bedrooms and bathrooms). At the side walls the height is approx. 1.3m increasing to approx. 1.79m at a beam and 2.5m in the centre
- The lower floor (hall/dining area/kitchen/living room) height to the ceiling is generally 2.06m but 1.85m and 1.98m in places.
- WCs on upper-floor only (in en-suite bathrooms)
- Well lit corridors, doors are in contrasting colours
- No lift
- Upper floor: stairs, landing & bedrooms: fitted carpets, bathrooms: ceramic tiles.
- Lower floor: door-mat at entrance and slate tiles.
- Bedding: hollowfibre duvets appropriate to the season, hollowfibre pillows (2 per guest) with cotton or polyester-cotton sheets and pillow-cases
- Assistance Dogs are permitted
- Assistance with heavy luggage is available upon request
- TV with DVD player, teletext and remote control is provided in the lounge
- Radio with remote control is provided in the lounge
- Task lighting is provided in bedrooms and lounge (reading light)
- High chair & cot available by prior request
- Wireless connection (WiFi) to Broadband Internet
- Mobile phone network service is available (a stronger signal is available outside the barn)
- Accessible information: registration form is available in large print, upon request