Tithe Barn 1 Cottage at Abercelyn, Bala, Snowdonia, North Wales
Traditional, self-catering cottage for 3, fully en-suite (pets permitted)
Stay in a Grade-II listed former Tithe Barn
Self-catering within an 18th C, grade-II listed, former Tithe Barn which has been carefully converted to retain the character of the building while providing modern comforts, including central heating. All bedrooms have en-suite luxury bathrooms with powerful showers and a whirlpool bath in each cottage. The Barn is of traditional construction with local stone, slit-windows, exposed roof beams and many original features and was converted in 2006. Because of the beams and pitched roof there are height restrictions in the bedrooms and bathrooms.
The Tithe Barn has a sheltered, courtyard setting facing a rock-garden, with heathers, alpines and wild flowers, located in the grounds of Abercelyn Country House. There are views of Llanycil Church and churchyard, Lake Bala and the Berwyn mountains on the other side of the lake. There is a wide range of wildlife locally, including squirrels, badgers, foxes and otters. Starlings often nest on the Barn and wide variety of birds have been seen from the garden including Red Kites and Buzzards.
Guests are welcome to use the gardens and other facilities available at Abercelyn Country House (bike store & wash, walking guides & maps, etc).
Summary: sleeps 3 + cot (1 double bedroom en-suite with whirlpool bath, 1 single bedroom en-suite with shower); pets permitted
Tithe Barn-1 has a full-height open hall with galleried landing and features:
- Central heating with adequate supply of hot water
- One double and one single bedroom both en-suite, whirlpool bath, spacious shower
- Lounge, dining area and kitchen which are separated by the original stub-walls and have a slate floor, lime-washed stone walls and slit windows
- Fully fitted kitchen with quality appliances including dishwasher, washing machine, etc
- Drying room
- Patio with furniture and barbecue
The total floor area is around 56 sq m with the ground floor has more usable space than the first-floor area because of the galleried landing.
There are views past Llanycil church of the lake and and Berwyn mountains.
- Slate floor, lime-washed stone walls and original slit windows
- Two comfortable sofas
- Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio
- HiFi system with CD/DVD, radio and MP3 connection (USB Port and SD card Slot)
- Nest of tables
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
Hall and dining area:
- Pine dining table and chairs for four
- Cupboard under the stairs (vacuum cleaner)
- A stair gate is provided for use at the bottom of the stairs
- Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates
- Microwave cooker
- Washing machine (powder provided)
- Dishwasher (tablets provided)
- Boiler/drying room
- Fully equipped for four persons
Both bedrooms are en-suite
The bedrooms feature stone walls and sloping ceilings with beams. Both are en-suite with a powerful shower and a whirlpool bath.
Double bedroom with:
- En-suite including, WC, basin, off-set corner whirlpool bath with hand-held mixer shower/taps, dual-fuel heated towel rail
- Wall lights, built-in wardrobe with shelves and space for storage of cases, etc.
- Choice of quilts
Single bedroom with:
- En-suite including WC, basin, and walk-in spacious shower with thermostatic control (headroom restrictions), dual-fuel heated towel rail
- Wall-light over the bed, dressing-shelf with mirror and light, built-in wardrobe with shelf and space for storage of cases, etc.
- Choice of quilts
- Prices include electricity, heating, towels, linen with beds made-up prior to arrival
- Complimentary tea, coffee, milk, sugar, salt & pepper, cleaning & washing products, kitchen roll, etc.
- Stay for two weeks: £25 reduction, linen and towels changed after the first week
- Well-behaved pets permitted (cleaning charge £10)
- Tithe Barn: Friday change-over, Poor House: Saturday change-over
- Cot and high-chair available by prior arrangement
- Ample free parking is available for trailers, dinghies, etc.
- Wireless connection (WiFi) to Broadband Internet
- Locked storage available for bicycles
- Advice for outdoor activities
- Guided Walking and Canoeng/Kayaking at special prices