Tithe Barn 2 Cottage at Abercelyn, Bala, Snowdonia, North Wales
Traditional, self-catering cottage for 4, one double, one twin bedroom, fully en-suite
Stay in a Grade-II listed former Tithe Barn
Self-catering within an 18th C, grade-II listed, former Tithe Barn which has been carefully converted to retain the character of the building while providing modern comforts, including central heating. All bedrooms have en-suite luxury bathrooms with powerful showers and a whirlpool bath in each cottage. The Barn is of traditional construction with local stone, slit-windows, exposed roof beams and many original features and was converted in 2006.
The Tithe Barn has a sheltered, courtyard setting facing a rock-garden, with heathers, alpines and wild flowers, located in the grounds of Abercelyn Country House. There are views of Llanycil Church and churchyard, Lake Bala and the Berwyn mountains on the other side of the lake. There is a wide range of wildlife locally, including squirrels, badgers, foxes and otters. Starlings often nest on the Barn and wide variety of birds have been seen from the garden including Red Kites and Buzzards.
Guests are welcome to use the gardens and other facilities available at Abercelyn Country House (bike store & wash, walking guides & maps, etc).
Summary: sleeps 4 + cot (1 twin bedroom en-suite with whirlpool bath & shower, 1 double bedroom en-suite with shower); pets not permitted
Tithe Barn-2 has the living area upstairs to maximise the views and features:
- Central heating with adequate supply of hot water
- One double and one twin bedroom both en-suite, whirlpool bath, spacious walk-in shower
- Lounge, dining area and kitchen which are separated by the original stub-walls and have a slate floor, lime-washed stone walls and slit windows
- Fully fitted kitchen with quality appliances including dishwasher, washing machine, etc
- Drying room
- Patio with furniture and barbecue
The total floor area is around 59 sq m with the ground floor area bigger than the first-floor area because of the galleried landing.
There are views past Llanycil church of the lake and and Berwyn mountains.
The main entrance is via stable-door to the hall, with coat rail, providing access to bedrooms and stairs to first-floor. There is a stair-gate in the living room at the top of the stairs.
- Oak floor, stone walls and sloping ceilings with beams
- Two comfortable sofas
- Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio
- HiFi system with CD/DVD, radio and MP3 connection (USB Port and SD card Slot)
- Nest of tables
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
Kitchen and dining area:
- Pine dining table and chairs for four
- Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates
- Microwave cooker
- Washing machine (powder provided)
- Dishwasher (tablets provided)
- Drying room
- Fully equipped for four persons
Both bedrooms are en-suite with powerful showers and a whirlpool bath. The bedrooms also feature stone walls.
Double bedroom with:
- En-suite including, WC, basin and and walk-in spacious shower with thermostatic control, dual-fuel heated towel rail
- Bedside table and light, chest of draws with mirror and light, wardrobe
- Choice of quilts
Twin bedroom with:
- En-suite including WC, basin and whirlpool bath with hand-held mixer shower/taps and powerful shower with thermostatic control (over the bath) , dual-fuel heated towel rail
- Wall-light over the bed, dressing-shelf with mirror and light, built-in wardrobe with shelf and space for storage of cases, etc.
- Choice of quilts
- Prices include electricity, heating, towels, linen with beds made-up prior to arrival
- Complimentary tea, coffee, milk, sugar, salt & pepper, cleaning & washing products, kitchen roll, etc.
- Stay for two weeks: £25 reduction, linen and towels changed after the first week
- Pets not permitted
- Friday change-over
- Cot and high-chair available by prior arrangement
- Ample free parking is available for trailers, dinghies, etc.
- Wireless connection (WiFi) to Broadband Internet
- Locked storage available for bicycles
- Advice for outdoor activities
- Guided Walking and Canoeing/Kayaking at special prices