Things to do in North Wales when staying at Abercelyn, Bala, Snowdonia
There are many visitor attractions, castles, gardens, beaches to visit
There are a wide range of "things to do" for families, adventure seekers and those that just wan to tour the area.
Ten suggested "things to do" in North Wales:
- Portmeirion, Italianate village: the most popular tourist attraction in North Wales
- Caernarfon Castle: the second most popular tourist attraction in North Wales
- Erddig Country House: life above and below stairs at the second most popular historic house in the UK
- Bodnant Garden: a garden for all seasons, fourth most popular tourist attraction in North Wales
- Llechwedd Slate Caverns: experience a miner's environment at this award-winning attraction
- Centre for Alternative Technology: green and sustainability exhibits
- Travel on one or more of the Great Little Trains of Wales including the Ffestiniog Railway with splendid views from the historic narrow-gauge, steam railway
- Snowdon on-foot (see below for free parking) or by mountain railway (booking recommended) - visit the most expensive cafe in Wales - Hafod Eryri
- Pistyll Rhaeadr: Wales highest waterfall (240-ft): one of the seven wonders of Wales
- Mawddach Estuary: splendid views, walk/cycle track, nature reserves.
The above is just a sample of the many tourist attractions available in North Wales and has been chosen to illustrate the quality and variety of tourist attractions, for more read on. The popularity refers to the VisitWales survey of attractions that charge admission.
World Heritage Site include:
- Llangollen Canal and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
- The “Castles and Town Walls of King Edward in Gwynedd” - this includes Caernarfon, Conwy, Beaumaris and Harlech Castles.
Other World Heritage Sites within travelling distance of Bala are Liverpool - Maritime Mercantile City (1½ hours) and Ironbridge Gorge (1¾ hours).
Snowdon: Penceunant incensed tea house at the foot of Snowdon (Llanberis path) free parking for Abercelyn guests (subject to availability)
When staying at Abercelyn there are many other towns and villages that you can visit in North-Wales and Mid-Wales.
- Betws y Coed
- Lake Vyrnwy
- Llangollen and the Dee Valley
Or a little further: