Access Statement for Abercelyn Poor House
Section 1 Travel to Site
- In Llanycil opposite the Church on the A494 (Bala – Dolgellau) road (½-mile from Bala towards Dolgellau)
- Grid Reference: SH 914349 (OS Maps: OL18, 23 or Landranger 125)
- Latitude: North 52 deg. 54.058 minutes; Longitude: West 3 deg. 36.930 minutes
Telephone: 01678 521 109 (international +44 1678 521 109)
Car parking within the grounds of Abercelyn Country House use the first entrance coming from Bala on the A494 Bala – Dolgellau road (100m before Llanycil Church):
The lower car park provides direct access to the Cottage ground floor
The upper car park provides direct access to the Cottage upper floor
Drop off points: see car parks above (not suitable for large buses – there is a lay-by on the A494 (Bala – Dolgellau) road in Llanycil
Taxis: see car parks above
Bus stops: The Arriva 94 bus service (Wrexham-Bala-Llanycil-Dolgellau-Barmouth) stops in Llanycil (Telephone: Traveline 0870-608 2608, Arriva Cymru: 01495-592 111)
Routes to Bala/Llanycil:
- By car from north: M56 Chester A483 Wrexham A5 Llangollen A494 Bala (A494 or A5104 are alternatives to A483)
- By car from east: M54 Telford A5 Shrewsbury A5 Llangollen A494 Bala (B4396 Knockin - Pen-y-bont - Llangynog B4391 is an alternative to A5/A494)
- By train: to Wrexham then bus to Llanycil (Arriva 94)
- By coach: National Express to Llangollen (seasonal) then bus to Llanycil (Arriva 94) (National Express telephone: 08705 808080, Disabled Persons Travel Helpline: 0121 4238479)
Section 2 Building Environs
Poor House entrance:
- Directly from the lower car park via 2 steps (max. height 20-cm), approx. 15-m distance with temporary car parking
- Directly from the upper car park via 4 steps (max. height 16-cm), approx. 50-m distance (approx. 15-m distance with temporary car parking)
- The car park surface is gravel, paths are either slate or gravel
- The path & steps are slate and can be slippery when wet
- Lighting is provided to lower and upper car parks and entrances
- Garden: the garden is on a slope with steps in places, paths are slate or gravel.
- Garden safety: The garden has a mountain stream running through it and parents must decide if their children require supervision when in the garden near the stream
Section 3 Building
General: although the cottage was not designed for disabled access, the living areas and a (double) bedroom with en-suite bathroom are situated on one floor (upper floor).
- Steps and ramps: the upper entrance one step (included in Section 2 above); ramps are not available.
- The door is a conventional type; the minimum width is 65cm.
- Recessed door mat.
- Steps and ramps: the lower entrance has two steps (included in Section 2 above); ramps are not available.
- The door is a conventional type; the minimum width is 70cm.
Floors and layout:
- Upper floor: open-plan living/dinning/kitchen room and double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (including WC). Rooms are directly connected with a spiral staircase (12 steps) going to the lower floor (the minimum width is 75cm). A child safety gate is provided at the upper level.
- Lower floor: two twin bedrooms one with en-suite shower-room (including WC) and one with adjacent shower-room (including WC). Bedrooms are accessed by a corridor with a step half-way along the corridor. Doors are in contrasting colours. The minimum width of internal doors is 65cm.
- The cottage is of traditional construction and headroom restrictions apply adjacent to walls of the upper floor, because of the sloping ceilings (including above the bath) and there are low beams (1.57m) in places.
- WCs on both floors (in bathrooms)
- No lift
- Upper floor living/dinning/kitchen room: floorboards and a rug.
- Upper floor bedroom: fitted carpet; bathroom: floorboards.
- Lower floor: fitted carpet in bedrooms; fitted carpet, rug and door-mat in the corridor; shower-rooms: ceramic tiles.
- Bedding: hollowfibre duvets appropriate to the season, hollowfibre pillows (2 per guest) with cotton or polyester-cotton sheets and pillow-cases
- Well-behaved pets permitted (2 pets max - £10 each)
- TV with DVD player, teletext and remote control is provided in the lounge
- Radio with remote control is provided in the lounge
- Task lighting is provided in bedrooms and lounge (reading light)
- High chair & cot available by prior request
- Wireless Internet
- Accessible information: registration form is available in large print, upon request